Saturday 16 March 2013

Dear Twilight haters,


Twilight



This is what someone wrote in response to Stephen King's spew:

"Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect his opinion as an author, and I do happen to agree with him. However, I do not agree with the manner in which he stated his feelings to a fellow writer. It was rude, unprofessional, and all over unethical.

I mean, he's used to more advanced writers. I understand this... But he could have approached it a lot better. AND, as I've said before, his word is not law."

I think that the above person has stated what I believe. Stephanie Meyer had a dream. She wrote her books from that dream. I could challenge any author who said they didn't eat, breathe, dream and live their best work whilst they were writing it?

Who is Stephen King or anyone else to challenge Stephanie Meyer's writing style or voice? Her books sold millions of copies and are still selling. Readers invested in her characters, emotionally or otherwise, enough to see it through to the end. If the reader decided to put the book down, that it wasn't for them, that all that Bella Swann wanted was a boyfriend (although, I find that difficult to envisage) that she was fickle and unlikeable, that is entirely up to them. 

We have all, as readers, put down a book, whatever the reason. I don't then decide to rubbish all readers and fan's of that book/author? I consider that unreasonable behaviour. However, in the case of 'Twilight' people think it's perfectly OK to do so, even those that haven't even read a chapter!

I also believe that it's ignorant to compare 'Harry Potter' to 'Twilight'. Harry Potter is a series of book's to grow up with. I will hand my eleven year old children 'Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone' and subsequent books in the following years. They are beautifully and cleverly designed to "grow up with". 

Twilight, I think, sends other messages, to a different audience, if we are inclined to believe books are there to send messages? I'm not sure they are there to do anything other than entertain and inspire the reader? I suppose it depends on the reader? 

Bella possesses qualities I think as admirable in a teenage girl. She has passion, love and desire. Bella displays that she is willing to sacrifice herself for her friends and family throughout the saga. What have I missed?

 If Twilight was, merely,about the importance of having a boyfriend, why didn't Bella just forget about Edward Cullen and go on a fucking spree around Forks? Just saying. After all "The best way to get over one man is to get under another." Yes...yes, or boy.

Bella and Edward evolve during the saga. They turn from teenage awkwardness to a married couple with responsibilities, isn't this what happens as we grow?

I also can't help but feel the utmost respect for Stephanie Meyer, she didn't sell her soul to the movie devil. She remained on the set ensuring her creation wasn't taken anywhere she didn't feel it shouldn't go. Charlaine Harris sold herself out with 'True Blood'. She had the books, they have the series (HBO)....I really feel an aching hole where some characters are missing from the T.V series.

In summary, I think that Stephen King has acted with disregard and stupidity to compare the two authors and books. I actually disrespect him as much as he has disrespected Stephanie Meyer, now. 






No comments:

Post a Comment