Wednesday 13 March 2013

Friend or foe?

I have, essentially, always been a short story writer.

I've always written, even as a child. My English teacher was fascinated by me, he encouraged my writing, and I loved him for it. I thought for a time, that perhaps...he just liked me?

However, he had a nervous breakdown and left the school (nothing to do with me, I might add) and the next English teacher also concentrated on my talents, always offering encouragement. I think that had a lot to do with me understanding Olde English....no, mother, not the cider. I can tell you, it ain't fun being the only kid in the classroom that laughs at Shakespeare.

Anyway, I digress.

I only have one friend thats a writer. A lot of friends and one husband that listen to my animated talk of fictional characters contained within my disturbed mind, but only one friend that actively writes (though, he always threatens to stop, I suspect he never will, he's just being dramatic!)

Anyway, that little bugger challenged me! How very dare he! He challenged me to write a vampire story, because that is what I love, vampires- movies, books t.v series, the lot...just let me at it.

I told him in no uncertain terms that I was too scared. How could I touch a genre that I love so much? How could I possibly be innovative enough?

I tried to ignore it, but the nagging wouldn't go away.

Then, a few days later the idea hit me like a well landed punch from Mike Tyson (other boxers are available).

So here I am. A chapter down, four chapters plotted carefully, characters written down. I can say that I have never felt so free. I can see, touch and taste things in my writing, when you write short stories the word count is so rigid in the markets available.

I would like to thank that little devil I saw sitting on my shoulder, he had funny little horns poking out from his curly dark hair and a comical red tail swishing around from behind his back. He looked scarily like that writer friend of mine? Irritatingly he chants "Do it, do it, do it!" in a yank accent. So, I shrugged, swatted him off my shoulder and told him to shut-up! Can he not see that I'm trying to write?

However, I might decide it's a terrible idea for me to write a book. Then I'll quickly blame him.

2 comments:

  1. He sounds like a right cheeky bastard. However, I agree with him: You should right a book. I don't think he was nagging you though. It seems more to me that your friend believes in you and was encouraging you.

    Are you sure your friend was being dramatic? Maybe he wasn't bluffing. What if he hasn't written anymore? Would you think less of him? Also, you if you decide it's a terrible idea for you to finish the book, you shouldn't blame him. Your friend didn't force you to start.

    Just sayen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you're right. However, it's always more fun to blame someone else for your own failings?

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete