Friday 22 March 2013

Dialogue essay.

This is a dialogue essay I had to write for my NCFE Level three in Fiction Writing.


“Right, I’ve got everything.” She said standing in the doorway to the living room, hands on  hips, her mouth pinched.
     “Please, Kim, we can’t be over.” Joe’s words choked with emotion “Just. Please. Give me another chance.”
     His over-bright eyes peered up at her; Joe was sitting on the cream settee, fiddling with the beige piping on the edges of the cushion.  They had chosen it together, when she had first moved in. She quickly shook her head, dismissing the memory.
     “You believe I can forgive you? After everything you’ve done to me?” she jabbed a finger at him, one hand still on her hip. “No chance, mate!”
     Joe leant forward dropping his head into his hands for a moment. “I’m begging, Kim. Sorry. She meant nothing to me.” He said, making eye contact again.
     She flew at him from across the room, barely missing the coffee table. Her fists clenched, eyes blazing. Joe flinched, gasping he flung himself back into the seat, his mouth hanging open.
     “You think that’s what I’m fucking talking about?” She screeched, her face flushed, level with his. “I don’t care who you shag! What have you done for me except bring me down? I’m not letting you humiliate me again. My friends and family must think I’m a right mug!”
       The scared look on his ashen face made her stop ranting, straightening up away from him. She took a deep breath, still shaking from her outburst, “I….I can’t stand the sight of you anymore.” She hissed.
     Admitting that to him had somehow reaffirmed that feeling. Kim never wanted to lay eyes on Joe ever again.
     “I took you in, gave you a place to live, you had no where else to go.” Joe’s voice was quiet.
     “Yeah, you’re right.” She spat. “And whilst I was here you made me the butt of every practical joke known to man, all tried and tested on me, laughed about me with anyone who would listen, humiliated me in front of the neighbours.” With every word her voice got louder until she was bellowing and pointing into his face.
      She sighed heavily and folded her arms across her chest. “We’re not going to achieve anything here. I don’t want you anymore. I didn’t notice before, but, I changed, I’m not myself when I’m with you.”
     “Ok, I obviously took the jokes too far.” He threw his hands up. “I thought, you found them funny? I’m sorry, I was trying to cheer you up because you were so down.” Joe pinched the bridge of his nose, bowed his head and closed his eyes.
     “Really? You thought making toffee-covered onions for Halloween would cheer me up?” Kim snarled, her face screwed up. “How could you let me give them out…to…to little kids? You told me they were bloody apples!  Oh Yeah! A load of parents shouting at me… comical!”
     “Come on, Kim, that was a bit funny.” A smile started at the corners of his mouth. Kim’s lip’s formed a white slash, her body went rigid in preparation to pounce.
     She squeezed her eyes shut, taking a moment to calm down. Finally flicking her narrowed eyes towards him, her voice even and flat. “That, Joe, simply proves you’ve never known the real me, only the diluted version, the Kim without confidence. It’s time for me to go.”
     Kim walked back towards the doorway, she turned briefly to see Joe, his body sagged, tears silently rolling down his cheeks, he was staring blankly at the wall.
     She shrugged and picked the two bags of stuff she’d come for.
     “Bye, then.” She said with finality and left the house.





2 comments:

  1. That was great Lucy, I was getting so involved and it ended. You are Brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete